Reasons to Leave a Church
In the last couple of years, God has clearly called me and my famiy back to our home church. This is the church my family has been in for generations, but for certain reasons, we had to leave for a season. God began clearly giving me dreams instructing me to return. I was hungry and ready to be back with people teaching, pursuing, and practicing the gifts of Acts. There has been something missing in some of the wonderful churches and minisitries we have been a part of...a hole in my heart where I needed, and wanted MORE. I needed FRESH and constant filling of the Holy Spirit. I NEEDED more for my children.
Because of my journey, the topic of "Reasons to leave a church " has been on my mind.
Are There Good Reasons to Leave a Church
When considering leaving a fellowship, here are some good questions to consider.
1. Is this church preaching truth? Even if the truth is unpopular or hard to hear? Or are they teaching a seeker sensitive, afraid to offend, social justice, watered down American gospel?
2. Is this Pastor living a morally ethical life and is it someone whom I can sit under their teaching? Now, it's important to remember no human is perfect, but if the pastor is blatently living against God's word with things such as sexual immorality...it's time to go.
3. Is this church dead or alive? Is is traditional and ritualistic? Is it alive and being led weekly by the Holy Spirit?
4. Have I fully stepped in to the body of Christ and done my part ? Am I complaining about lack of ministries, activities, and programs but not stepping up to help or start them?
5. Is there more politics and social justice coming from the pulpit, or is there solid teaching from God's word?
6. Is the church concerned more about a performance and program, schedule and time, or is there open time for the Holy Spirit to move?
7. Does the church teach healing, miracles, prophecy, and is it actively being seen?
9. Am I bored because of my lack of relationship with God? Am I just uncomfortable because I am being convicted?
10. Most importantly, what does God say? NO human, NO pastor, NO counselor can answer this. If they try to...be concerned.
Seek God's Input
Church membership is a commitment, a promise to be faithful, participate, attend, tithe, and serve. It's not a contractual agreement or a sworn promise to never leave.
God directs that. If a pastor guilts or shuns you for leaving his church, be very concerned and do not fall for manipulation.
But friends, I would strongly encourage you to pray, wait, and seek. Make sure the decision is God's and not your emotions. And IF you are sure it's time to go, do it in a mature, Godly way. Speak to your pastor. Be honest with them about your reasons and make sure you leave with no animosity. Don't speak badly of your former church, but pray for them. Don't just disappear. Be decent and appropriate in this situation. And ALWAYS leave the door open for relationships in case God calls you back.
Want to read more about life and faith? Check out these posts!